Sunday 18 November 2012

Baking Miracle!

OK, I have a confession to make. I love baking, and its my passion. I know you all already know that, but what you don't know is that I have never made an actual edible cake or cupcake in my life (I can bake other goodies but never cakes). They all turn out beautiful (decorated, well actually camouflaged with yummy icing and edible pearls) but once you take a big chunky bite out of it you might actually get sent to the ER. I am seriously not joking. 

Yesterday, I bought home  Duncan Hines White Cake Mix in the hopes of finally baking an edible batch of cupcakes I carefully followed the instructions but substituted and added some other ingredients to bake fluffy and moist vanilla cupcakes. To the Mix I added 4 beaten eggs, 1 1/3 cup of milk instead of water, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and about the same amount of butter. I made the batter nervously and popped it in the oven. I took them out in 21 minutes. The box said 21-24 minutes but mine cooked faster. I let them cool and finally took a bite out of the decadent cupcakes. It was a miracle. I finally made cupcakes. Thrilled, I took some icing and iced two toned rosettes on each of the cupcakes and gave them to my family. They loved it and were so proud of me. It was a success!!

If you would like to know how to make two toned icing- simply take a food colour of your choice and thoroughly coat the inside of your piping bag. You may use a brush or you can use a spoon (like I did). Then start adding your white butter cream. Once you are done make sure to squeeze the buttercream out to see if its coming out two toned. Two - toned buttercream is best used to make rosettes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment